Sunday, March 3, 2013

Carousel Cake

This month I was asked to make a cake for my niece who was turning 5 years old.  
She requested  a cake with horses and pink.  
Within a few minutes of thinking about it I really wanted to try to make a carousel cake. I had seen them before but didn't know how to make one, later I will post about how I went about making this cake.  

Here is Isabella's cake...



I like to add personal touches to the cakes, on the top of carousel I added gold 5's along the edge.  


The horses were fun to decorate with little saddles, and flowers along the body.  I steamed them to give them a little shine, to mimic the gloss found on wooden carousel horses. 


I added a name plate for Isabella with the year below.  This was made by using black food coloring as paint, and brushing on the name carefully.   

The top of the carousel was made about a week before, so that it was hardened enough to be stable.  
The top section and center pole are cardboard, covered in fondant.  



I was so excited to make this cake because it was unlike anything I had done before.
I hope she enjoyed the cake as much as I did making it.  


Happy Birthday!



5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see more about how you did this one. It turned out AMAZING. Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SERIOUSLY!? You are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Gen I just clicked over from Emma's blog. I knew you made cakes but I had no idea how awesome you are. This is amazing. Good job and what a wonderful talent. I don't know if you know but I like to eat cake so maybe one day we can hook up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cake was gorgeous and elicited screams of delight and amazement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um yeah... AMAZING! The student has now become the master :)

    ReplyDelete