Friday, April 5, 2013

Hulk and Spiderman: Trial and Error

This cake was a learning cake.  I made this for my nephew.  He wanted Hulk and Spiderman to be incorporated into his cake.  I came up with this crazy idea...


Hulk is below and has one large skewer going through him, below and above him to connect the two cakes.  
I used a large straw filled with white chocolate to hold the bottom of Hulks skewer.  Once the chocolate hardened he should be  secure.  I made the top Spiderman cake using a Cake dummie so that it would be lighter and easier to deal with the weight of the cake. I didn't factor in the weight of my fondant made Spiderman.  


Hulk looks like he has a lot of muscles, but really they are just fake.  
He was not ready to support this cake.  I made him about a week before the cake, so he was completely hardened.  Then I hot glued his hands and head to the bottom of the Spiderman cake (which the cake was also skewered onto Hulk also). The weigh of the Spiderman figure was too much for one side of the cake though.  The cake lasted about 4 hours, after delivery I found out that it gave way to gravity and started tilting too much for comfort.  



The birthday boy got to see his cake, and enjoy it, but then to save the cake for the party later on the day, extra support had to be added to keep it together.  That really is just so sad, I wish I never made mistakes, but I do.  The idea seemed like a good idea in my mind, but realistically just didn't last.  Spiderman should have been made out of modeling chocolate which weighs lighter, and given the Hulk, two skewers, one in both feet, not just the one.  



3 comments:

  1. You have to be a baker, designer, artist and engineer. That's a big task! But it was still a great cake, everyone was pleased and impressed! Hooray for superheros Hulk, Spidey and Genny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got pictures, learning cakes are a necessity! Still looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so so cute! I love the design! Dang gravity, the natural enemy of all cakes!

    ReplyDelete