Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Woodworker's Cake

My dad's birthday was this week.  He is really talented at building things out of wood like food trays, cutting boards, chairs...houses.  For his birthday I wanted to make a cake stump of wood, and add different wood making tools around it.  




Every builder has plans, his plans were to have a Happy Birthday.  


I used tools to spell out "Dad".
A clamp (I've been told you can never have too many of these), nails, & a tape measure.   

 My dad loves his chocolate, so I used chocolate frosting, in a star tip to cover the sides of the cake.  Then I added the individual pieces of bark.  The "bark" was made out of modeling chocolate, each one hand made and textured to look like bark. I dusted them with a dark brown petal dust to add depth.  


I added a saw blade, and bits of chocolate shavings, and brown sugar saw dust.  The stumps ring piece was made several days in advance so it could be stiff and hard (like wood :).  I hand painted the rings with different shades of brown petal dust.  

It is always so fun to make birthday cakes, and to make them personal for the individual!




3 comments:

  1. I can't believe all that bark was handmade! I thought for sure it was a candy bar of some sort. Love the tools to spell out dad. Another one perfect for the portfolio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't decide if I like the clamp best, or the tape measure,or the bark,or the saw, or . . . and it was delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative!! All those little pieces that you put together--and you made it all look so perfect!

    ReplyDelete