Monday, June 24, 2013

Backyard Picnic

This cake I made for my Grandma.  Our family used to gather in her backyard and have a traditional BBQ, with hamburgers, hot dogs, rootbeer, and of course watermelon.  My Grandma loves these gatherings, and so for her 85th Birthday I was asked to re-create a backyard picnic.  I made the layout of the cake exactly how my grandma's backyard is.   

Of course you need an uncle at the BBQ's.  
I made a garden right where Grandma's garden is.  

A few people chilling on a blanket...


...more people were chatting at a table, eating by some trees, etc.  


I added balloons and a mini cake to the scene to make it feel like us fondant figures, were celebrating Grandma's Birthday.  Of  course the swing set is not edible, it was made out of wood to look like or original set, that is still there to this day, I think the swing set is 50 years old.  



Here is my grandma, the lady of honor, wearing a Y sweatshirt, 
for her favorite college team BYU.  She went to school there and worked there several years herself, and was married to a professor there as well, so she has a lot of pride for the school.  
Grandpa, who passed away a few years ago is sitting on the willow stump, wearing his blue coveralls.  


 The food was fun to make. 
Little ketchup, mustard bottles, plates, a bowl of chips, a bag of chips, 
watermelon, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. 



This cake took so much time.  I  forgot to keep count but I am sure it was close to 16 hours.  I am so glad she liked it, and so glad I am on to the next cake. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, 16 hours is a ton of time! Looks great though, I can't believe how realistic grandpa looks! Wish I could've seen it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The detail work is amazing. And, Emma, you might be able to. Grandma took it home to keep it for as long as she likes! (It was a dummy cake. I couldn't bear the thought of cutting into it.)

    ReplyDelete