Monday, June 3, 2013

Swimmer Cake

I made this cake for our neighbor who was turning 16.  She has been our family babysitter for three years and has helped me out so much!  I wanted to give her a fun cake for her sweet 16th birthday.  She is a great swimmer, so I knew I wanted to make it a swimming cake.  She loves light blue and lime green, no sparkles or pink please!  Here is the cake I gave her.  



People love to see themselves in an edible form, so I made a figure in the swimming pool.  The figurine and accessories are all made from fondant.  


The Birthday Banner is the only thing not edible.
  I printed the letters on scrapbook paper, then cut them out and sewed them together to make the banner.  

I used the towel to tie in the two colors together.  On the duffel bag I wrote her name, as well as on the cake.  Having a unique name, I know how fun it is to actually see your name, spelled correctly, on something.  Never in all my traveling as a child did I see a mug in the gift shop with "Genevre", although it didn't stop me from checking every time "just in case."   When I make a cake for someone with a unique name, I make sure their name is on the cake!  





3 comments:

  1. How did you make the "water" shiny? That is such a cute cake, and, just for the record, I STILL check for anything personalized with your name on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That water is amazing, there's even a reflection! I love it, and the pool is textured, not just a plain white box. I love how detailed you make these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The water is perfectly shaded! It looks so real with the reflection and everything. You are an incredible artist with cake!

    ReplyDelete